Ensalada de Batata y Chayote (Sweet Potato and Chayote Salad)



INGREDIENTS

1 pound yams (or sweet potatoes)
1 large chayote
1 cup thinly sliced red or yellow onion
Tarragon vinegar or low-fat vinaigrette dressing

PREPARATION

Trim and discard the ends of the yams (about 1/4 inch), then cut each yam into three pieces. Cover the yams halfway with water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then lower heat to medium and simmer semi-covered for 15 minutes.

Cut each chayote in half, lengthwise, and peel away the soft inner pit. Cut each half into 6 lengthwise strips. Add the chayote pieces to the pot and continue to simmer semi-covered for another 40 minutes, or until they pierce easily with a fork.

Remove from heat and drain well. After the yams have cooled enough, remove their skins. Slice into one-inch rounds and arrange on a platter. Add the chayote pieces to the platter and top with the onion slices.

Drizzle with tarragon vinegar or a low-fat vinaigrette dressing of choice. Makes 4 servings.

Simply delicious!

~ Courtesy of Latina Magazine

Comments

What an interesting recipe. I like Chayote, I recall when it was introduced to me many Moons ago. Mi Abue made me....yes, she forced me to eat Chayote ( I was a kid then) OMG! It was the best ever. She offered my Chayote Soup. Love it since. I will give this one a try. Thanks for sharing it :)
Hi Laura,

Yes, this is an interesting recipe. I enjoy Chayote too. It gives that extra flavor to any dish. My mom uses it all the time and it is simply delicious!

Thanks for visiting :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Getting Subscribers to Your Business Mailing List

How Do You Promote Your Business

10 Tips To Improve Slow Website Sales