Evaluating Home Printers: How to Pick the Best Printer to Suit Your Needs
Working from home can be one of the best ways to make a living, no matter how you do it. There is little overhead (usually) and all the benefits of managing your own schedule. For many, the benefits outweigh the costs. One cost of working from home is outfitting your home office, of which one of the most important items, aside from a computer, is a printer. Here are a few tips to consider when shopping for the home comuter that will fit your needs:
1. Do you mostly print photos on special paper?
- Look for the highest resolution in your price range for the sharpest photos. The Canon PIXMA MG8220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer is $215 on Amazon. This is a very high-resolution printer with stunning photo output, a high-dpi scanner for great scans, and disc printing capability. It is a bit higher than most on the list, but great for photographers.
2. Do you print many pages of text daily?
- You want to look for speed on text printing, along with high-output black cartridges. You could consider a black and white laser printer, but for more versatility try the Epson WorkForce 645 Wireless All-in-One, $99 on Amazon. The Workforce is a larger design than the others listed, but is very speedy when printing documents, even double-sided, and is designed to maximize ink for lower print costs. It includes scanner, fax, and double paper trays, but no disc printing.
3. Do you need tabloid paper for posters or booklets?
- The Epson WorkForce WF-7520 Wireless All-in-One Wide-Format Printer, $250 on Amazon. There is no disc printing, and it is larger than any others here, as well as more expensive.
4. Do you make labels for CDs and DVDs?
- Get a model that will print directly onto the disks. Epson and Canon have several models with disc printing capability that produce gorgeous discs in full color on white, silver, or gold printable discs. Try the Epson Artisan 730 Wireless All-in-one, currently available for $99 on Amazon, a great price for an all-in-one printer with disc printing.
5. Do you need a scanner and/or copier?
- Multifunction printers generally include a scanner/copier function, and sometimes fax capability, as well. The Canon PIXMA MX512 Wireless Color Photo Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax is $108 on Amazon. No disc printing on this model, but it is a very compact and stylish machine.
6. Do you have multiple users and computers in your household?
- All of the printers mentioned include wireless capability, which allows you to position anywhere and send print jobs from multiple devices on your wireless network, even many cell phones and cameras.
7. Have to print often?
- Be aware that some models will not allow printing if any cartrige is empty, so keep extras on hand. You may want to see if less expensive re-manufactured cartridges are available, but look for good ink quality.
About the author: Nicole Berenston is a professional writer for Smartpress.com with expertise in business, marketing, and printing. She enjoys spending time with her family and being in the outdoors.