6 Business Mistakes to Avoid
Throughout my years in business, I've made my share of mistakes. Below, I’m going to share them in hopes that I won’t embarrass myself :-). I’ve always felt that I learn more from my mistakes then from my successes. Therefore, I’m hoping that by sharing the "6 Business Mistakes To Avoid", you will learn something too!
1. Don’t underestimate the competition: - Competition is out there, we all know that much. They are a fact of life in business. If your business can’t compete with other businesses, don’t start it. You have to have some type of an edge. Always put your best effort into wooing and pursuing your customers. If you don’t, someone else will.
2. Don't sweat it/be unique with your products/services: - You may have an excellent product or service, but if everyone else is selling a product or service similar to yours, just how much of the market can you expect to capture? Be unique in presentation, design and/or customer service. Validate your customer’s requirements. Find out what they really need. If not, they will go somewhere else, plain and simple. Listen to your customer’s requirements carefully. If you disagree with a solution, advise them of it. If they still disagree with your proposal, decide whether you can keep your integrity and their business by doing it their way. Always keeping in mind their wants and needs.
3. Don't please everyone/understand whom to please: - Work hard to please the right people. Market to the right people. For example, don’t spend advertising dollars on people who don’t want or need your products/services. First, find out who are your potential consumers by researching and defining the physical limitations of your business and build a profile of your average consumer. Some of the most successful businesses know exactly who they are catering too. Formulate marketing strategies aimed specifically at those consumers who are interested in your products/services.
4. Don’t give up control: - Be in charge. Stay in control. After all, who knows more about your business than you do? Utilize the experts, but don’t be intimated by them if their advice doesn’t feel right. Follow your heart and consult your brain!
5. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch: - Assume nothing! We all know what that means. Before announcing anything about your business, make sure it is prepared and completed; for example, a business launch, new products, new design, etc. When done, then and only then should you let everyone else know about it.
6. Don’t ignore problems: - Every business encounter problems sometimes. Don’t look away, tackle them head on and handle problems in a timely manner. They will not go away, nor will they get better on their own. Bad and/or good comments about your business should be addressed as soon as possible.
There you have it! The 6 Business Mistakes To Avoid. I’ve personally learned not to repeat those mistakes by applying the right things which helped ensure a successful business career. Here’s hoping these tips will help you too!
Share with us below what you've learned from your own business mistakes? How did it help you succeed? Thank you!
About the author: Sonia Colon is writer/publisher of My Fashion E-Mall Blog, and biz owner at Books About Me. For additional powerful business articles and Internet marketing tips for maintaining a lucrative home business subscribe to her newsletter below.
If you liked this business marketing post, please share it with a friend or two by clicking on the social media icons below. Thank you!