Running a Home Based Business While Caring for My Ailing Mother

Running a Home Based Business While Caring for My Ailing Mother

First, I'd like to thank the heavens for allowing me the opportunity to run a home based business while caring for my mother. Today's article isn't about business but a reflection (in a nutshell) of what I've been going thru for the past year... Running a Home Based Business While Caring for My Ailing Mother.

For the time being, I want to offer some explanation for where I have been, given this blog hasn’t seen my writings for nearly a week. Considering I have published something of my own on this blog at least once a week, I figured you might be wondering what happened to me.

You see, I've been managing my blogs and business while caring for my ailing mother; a very hard thing to do I might add. There were days when I've contemplated giving up on my blog(s) but something kept me going. I now believe it is the drive of not failing but of holding on, a quality my mom has taught me throughout my adulthood.

Today's article isn't about business but a little personal side of me.

For the past week, I've been busy arranging my dying mother's comfort and funeral. It is hard to believe that a week has past since her death. During this difficult journey, I've learned that a love for a mother is unconditional. I believe the reason why I've come through that realization sooner rather then later, is because I've learned it through the eyes of my own children. What an amazing circle of life we live!

A little about who she was

My mother was a strong, smart and good spirited person. To say she's been through so much is literally an understatement. She was always there for me for as long as I can remember. In the same way, I know I will be there for my children. My beautiful mother was a giver, she loved giving to others, without ever expecting anything in return. I can go on and on but I am certain of one thing, she was a phenomenal woman.

Family symptoms

Whenever there is a family member who is ill, everyone feels it. Adults will be stressed, worried and fatigued. Kids will also feel upset, neglected and fearful. My daughter the other day asked if it was her fault that her grandmother died. She said "Mom, it's my fault, I gave grandma candy and it killed her." My daughter got that perception because she had known that her grandma was diabetic. Even though diabetes was a part of my mother's condition, it wasn't necessarily the cause of death but it did add to other health complications. My daughter's words just crushed my heart. I then explained to her that it wasn't her fault, that grandma had been sick for a very long time. For the most part, she seemed satisfied with that answer...thank God! I know I have to continue to reassure her. My oldest son seems fine. He knows he can come to me and talk if he needs to.

My mother's care

To the very last minute, I made sure my mom was cared for. She had 24 hour care at my home the final week of her death. I thank God for the wonderful nurses and CNA's who were here round the clock. The love and dedication these wonderful care givers provided will forever be imprinted into my heart. They were here making sure my mother was comfortable and without any pain. They were my backbone when I needed time to myself to reflect on what was happening around me.

The amazing experience of sitting next to my mother as she took her final breath is something I will never forget and will cherish forever. As a wise person once told me, "Your mother Sonia, saw you take your first breath when you were born; now you saw her take her final breath as she joins her maker." Words I'll never forget...thank you Helen!

Good memories

I know my mom knew how much I loved her. I'm so fortunate to have been able to tell her how much during her struggles. I'm also grateful that I can hold on to the many wonderful memories I have of her. I will always remember her. I will teach my children every lesson my mother has taught me. I pray that while they're making mistakes of their own, that they will hold on and learn from some of those same teachings.

Back to business

I'd spend every other day, seven days a week, at the hospital with my mother. I'd go home to feed my family and do some chores I'd give myself each night (load dishes, wash clothes, pay bills, process email, etc.). Get on the computer, process orders, write a post/publish and do it all over again the next day.

I don’t feel upset that the past year my life has become so focused on the hospital and my mother's care because I couldn't imagine anywhere else I wanted to be. There was a job I had to do and wanted to do. It was challenging for my family but they were and still are my support system. Being elsewhere felt uncomfortable, though I did realize balance was necessary. I manage to do some exercise, meet a friend for lunch and do some more work on the iPad.

As you can imagine, I haven’t had much time to do additional writing on my blog(s), nor did I have a lot of motivation, especially during the last few weeks where everything was constant changes, big decisions and lots of communicating with people about what was going on with my mom. I consider it a real blessing that the entire time I spent next to my mother when all this was happening, my online business continued to function well. The fact that I work from home is truly a blessing in disguise.

Can your business run without you?

This experience has really challenged me to think what would happen if it was me facing a rehabilitation period of possibly years? What would happen to my business if I couldn’t do ANY of the work?

Beyond your own health, consider what would happen if you had a loved one suddenly need your attention. What would happen to your business? Would it keep working? These are questions we should all ask ourselves.

The new year approaching

It's hard to believe it's already November and another month before the year ends. Even though things will be different without seeing/hearing and being around my beautiful mom, I will hold on to those amazing memories of her. I will continue to focus my energy on my business and my blogs. I will keep those I care for most near and dear to my heart. I will think positive moving forward. May God bless us all!

Thank you for being a loyal reader at My Fashion E-Mall Blog and The Biz Buzz of A Latina Mom.

About the author: Sonia Colon is writer/publisher of My Fashion E-Mall Blog & The Biz Buzz of A Latina Mom Blog. She is also owner at Books About Me. Sign up for the newsletter below and never miss a powerful business marketing article plus receive a FREE ebook on ‘How to Rock Your Business with A Blog.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Tips To Improve Slow Website Sales

Ten Ways to Advertise Your business on Facebook!

Breastfeeding a boon to mom's heart!